Craigslist Rental Property Search via the RentRent API

Kevin Farnham, October 3rd, 2008

RentRent.org has announced the creation of an API that searches local Craigslist entries for rental properties including apartments and houses. [Note that RentRent.org is not associated with Craigslist.org.] This new API gives developers the ability to integrate rental searches with mapping applications and APIs (our RentRent API profile has details).

The straightforward REST-based API returns data in JSON format and each call specifies a location (minimum and maximum latitude and longitude) and the type of property (room or apartment/house). Optional parameters include the number of bedrooms and bathrooms, and whether pets are allowed. Basic RentRent API documentation is currently available, with more coming soon.

To see the RentRent API in action, with full Microsoft Virtual Earth integration, visit the RentRent.org Craigslist rentals page, select “Apartments/House Rental,” select a city, define the rental you’re looking for, and click “Find Properties.”

For example, here is the result of a search for apartments near Fenway Park in Boston:

While this is a useful platform extension to Craigslist, keep in mind that Craigslist has not always looked favorably on third party mashups, such as when they blocked Listpic or when they fought Oodle.

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

14 Responses to “Craigslist Rental Property Search via the RentRent API”

October 31st, 2010
at 1:11 pm
Comment by: lynne

I’m looking for a house on lake lanier with a dock, rental $3,500 to $4,700.
lynne

May 20th, 2011
at 6:16 pm
Comment by: Schlish Hills

I looking for a house with a three bedroom and a back yard rental $700.00 to 850.00

June 22nd, 2011
at 10:09 am
Comment by: andrea butts

I’m looking 3bedroom house about 850.00 month and garage no pet central air 7-1-11

September 19th, 2011
at 11:00 am
Comment by: 1/2 bed/1/2 bath

to rent for one year

September 19th, 2011
at 11:01 am
Comment by: 1/2 bed/1/2 bath

to rent for one year or for 6 months. Starting from Nov 2011

October 11th, 2011
at 7:47 pm
Comment by: BETTY DOUGLAS

I AM LOOKING FOR A 3 TO 4 BEDROOM HOME IN THE STOCKTON AREA FOR 900 TO 1100 A MONTH WITH 2 BATHROOM

October 11th, 2011
at 7:52 pm
Comment by: BETTY

THE PERSON THAT PUT BETTY DOUGLAS NAME UP FOR A HOME FOR RENT IS A MISSTAKE DON’T NEED A PLACE TO STAY

November 29th, 2011
at 6:31 am
Comment by: Martha

looking to rent home have a pet also

December 4th, 2011
at 8:41 pm
Comment by: uk directories

Excellent put up, very informative. I wonder why the opposite specialists of this sector don’t realize this. You must continue your writing. I am sure, you have a huge readers’ base already!|What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & help other users like its aided me. Great job.

February 7th, 2012
at 7:24 pm
Comment by: laquita

looking for a house to rent in tupelo, ms area. 300.00 to 600.00 a month

February 10th, 2012
at 8:50 am
Comment by: kim kucera

…I have a VA-Voucher for a little over a $1000…this is exactly under the conscripts of HUD Sect. 8…guaranteed rental check…
…I am looking in Wilton Manors, and, Ft Lauderdale Florida for preferably….2+ / 2+ house, cottage, large Duplex…in NE FTL….
…specifically…no further beyond these peramiters please as follows;

Commercial Blvd. to the north…the Ocean (A1A) to the east…Andrews Ave to the west and Sunrise blvd to the south….
…need it right away…have a Contract Voucher that pays for 12 Months plus I have 2 Months Security…please answer one-way-or-another

May 14th, 2012
at 3:56 pm
Comment by: sandra huffman

looking for house or apt 2 bedroom. in hildebran,icard,connelly springs,or lonview n.c. also mobile home private lot

May 14th, 2012
at 3:58 pm
Comment by: sandra huffman

for lease at least 1 or longer 350.00 – 500.00 per month

November 19th, 2012
at 7:14 pm
Comment by: James A. Lowe

My wife and I are retired and are looking for rental property in and around Minden,Louisiana.We have health problems and would like to be near him.2-BR – 2-BA apartment will be sufficient or a larger cheaper home.

Follow the PW team on Twitter

ProgrammableWeb
APIs, mashups and code. Because the world's your programmable oyster.

John Musser
Founder, ProgrammableWeb

Adam DuVander
Executive Editor, ProgrammableWeb. Author, Map Scripting 101. Lover, APIs.