3000 mashups. That’s how many mashups are now listed in our ProgrammableWeb directory as of last week. What’s most popular? As you can see in the chart below, the top ten categories of mashups do of course include mapping, but there’s a fairly even distribution across many of the other top categories like shopping, photos, video and music:
- New mashups have been added to the directory every day since we launched in August 2005 and the average number of new mashups added here per day is 3.45 (a sample of all the mashups in existence)
- While map mashups are common, the reality is that over 340 different APIs have been used in the apps listed here, with an average of 23 different APIs used per week
- Since we started awarding a Mashup of the Day (MOTD) in early 2006, there have been 687 MOTD winners
- The mashup tag cloud gives a sense of the variety of mashup types
- Just outside of the top 10 categories are subjects like social (160 mashups), music (153), mobile (150), widgets (110), bookmarks (103), reference (96), events (94), and visualization (80)
- If you look at mashups sorted by popularity you see what people view most often
- There have been a lot of contest winners
- You can now view the mashup listings as text only, images only, or text + images
- Past “round number milestones” covered here in the blog have included 500, 1001, and 2000 mashups
Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Follow the PW team on Twitter
APIs, mashups and code. Because the world's your programmable oyster.
Executive Editor, ProgrammableWeb. Author, Map Scripting 101. Lover, APIs.
Most new mashups last 60 days