Google’s New API Moves Outlook to GMail

John Musser, November 28th, 2007

If you’re at an enterprise that’s been thinking about transitioning your email infrastructure to a hosted software-as-service model then Goolge’s new Apps Email Migration API may be of interest. As you can see in our API profile the Atom-based API is designed to let corporate developers and email administrators do things like selectively move email messages across systems individually or in batches. This can appeal to larger companies that have more complex email and messaging platforms who may need to run systems in parallel or migrate groups or individual accounts over time.

As Google Apps product manager Gabe Cohen announced on their Enterprise Blog:

We’re excited to announce the new Google Apps Email Migration API, which can move email from anywhere – not just IMAP systems – to the Premier, Education or Partner Editions of Google Apps. If you need to migrate email from your users’ desktops, migrate email from a server not supported by the IMAP migration tool, or do a push migration because of your security policies, a tool built on this API could be the perfect answer…If you’re interested in building an email migration tool yourself using this API, you can create an administrator or end user tool to migrate email extracted from any data source. The email migration API is based on GData, so it’s easy to use, and you can learn all about it on the Google Code website.

One of the first third-party applications built on this API is gMove, our Mashup of the Day today from LimitNone. gMOVE is a migration utility for moving your Microsoft Outlook calendars, email, contacts and tasks to Google.

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

7 Responses to “Google’s New API Moves Outlook to GMail”

November 28th, 2007
at 5:12 am
Comment by: Mark "Rizzn" Hopkins

I wish I had this about two years ago when I made the move to GMail. I tried some of the outlook to gmail import utilities out there, but only got about 10% of my mail (which was archived in Outlook going back to 1996).

*Sigh*

November 28th, 2007
at 10:38 am
Comment by: John Musser

Hi Mark, yes I had tried some of those older utilities also but had the same experience – they were quite hit-and-miss.

December 2nd, 2007
at 1:06 am
Comment by: Entradas en las blogosferas.34 - Carrero Bitácora de los Hermanos Carrero, David Carrero Fernández-Baillo y Jaime Carrero Fernández-Baillo.

[...] Nueva API de Google para mover tu correo de Outlook a Gmail. [...]

December 5th, 2007
at 12:50 am
Comment by: 16 Online Email APIs

[...] Apps Email Migration API: As we reported last week, this web service helps business customers migrate their existing email infrastructure to Google [...]

July 10th, 2008
at 12:13 pm
Comment by: karl deeter

as an operations manager about half of my time is spent trying to keep outlook up and running, our programmer who uses gmail & thunderbird has about 100% up time, so we are gonna move away from outlook (my personal nemesis!) to a gmail with thunderbird set up and be done with the headaches once and for all.

December 9th, 2008
at 1:01 am
Comment by: Justin Weier

I really love this tool, and it beats the heck out of my process for migrating to free gmail accounts (seen here: http://cerebralcoretech.blogspot.com/2008/12/outlook-exodus-part-1.html)…major hack and slash I know. Thanks for the info!

November 17th, 2009
at 7:14 pm
Comment by: Rick Haler

I found this very useful! Successfully moved my outlook to gmail finally!

Follow the PW team on Twitter

ProgrammableWeb
APIs, mashups and code. Because the world's your programmable oyster.

John Musser
Founder, ProgrammableWeb

Adam DuVander
Executive Editor, ProgrammableWeb. Author, Map Scripting 101. Lover, APIs.