Version 2 of ProgrammableWeb.com is now live. What’s new? Just about all of it, every page is different. Perhaps the biggest change is the addition of 3 “dashboards” which now serve as the site’s main hubs.
- Home Page Dashboard: The home page has gone from being just a static site index to a useful page that updates daily. It summarizes the latest mashups, includes metrics and charts tracking API and mashup growth, includes blog snippets, and other odds and ends.
- Mashup Dashboard: Focuses only on the mashup and examples side of things, leading-off with the Mashup of the Day.
- API Dashboard: Does the same for APIs: Featured API, latest APIs, popular searches, etc. Charts showing distribution of mashups by API allow drill-down let you see at a glance which APIs get the most mashup use (and yes, it may be a long time before Google Maps doesn’t have the biggest slice).
Other updates include:
- Scalability: Paging support has been added for the lists. With 600+ mashups listed, this was becoming unwieldy to say the least. And overall performance has generally been improved.
- Metrics: This is the tracking the ecosystem piece. There are a variety of charts that get updated daily. Some get rotated in or out over time. Eventually there will be a /stats page.
- Content: All APIs and mashups now get graphics. This is particularly useful for the mashups as you can get a quick feel for each mashup without having to go visit the site.
- There’s also a new FAQ page, which is a bit thin now but will grow over time.
- Community: Comments and voting now for both links and APIs. Other features along this line didn’t make this cut, but will be in next time.
- Serendipity: There’s a certain serendipity factor inside now. A few bits of random selection and recommendation that should keep things a bit more engaging…
Lots of other updates, more on those later. In the meantime checkout the new site. Feedback always welcome.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Follow the PW team on Twitter
APIs, mashups and code. Because the world's your programmable oyster.
Executive Editor, ProgrammableWeb. Author, Map Scripting 101. Lover, APIs.
Most new mashups last 60 days